RE: IMC fault tolerant method

  • From: "Neil Hobson" <Neil.Hobson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:36:47 +0100

The IMC is rubbish for this.  It's an EDK gateway and not a true
connector; as a result, the MTA always sees the IMC as 'up' or
'available', and will continue to route messages to it even if the
service is down.  Worse still, once the MTA has put the messages into
the queue, no re-routing will take place - the MTA considers its job
done.

The options I can think of:

1. Implement a cluster for the IMC on a dedicated bridgehead server.
We've done this for some customers, and it does work well.  But it does
add cost, complexity, etc, to the environment.

2. Implement a warm standby server for your IMC server, which covers for
the failure of the system backplane, etc.

3. Upgrade to Exchange 2000, and use the SMTP service there, which
includes superior link state checking, etc.

HTH,

Neil

  _____