RE: I need Wake on LAN feature on Exchange

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:38:48 -0400

First, Exchange server cannot identify which PC should receive the outgoing
mail. Exchange server MTA delivers the message to the corresponding mailbox in
the Exchange server. The client PC running Outlook can initiate a send/receive
sequence to check if there is any messages waiting in the server mailbox and
download them to the PST file (if PST folder is the destination). Hence, your
expected solution will not work. It is the client who should initiate a mail
send/receive not the server. So if the PC is in sleep mode, when the PC wakes
up again, the PC will initiate a send and receive and all mails will get
downloaded. There is no way for the server to wakeup a PC and deliver the
messages.