RE: I get mail from some and not others

  • From: "John Mason Jr." <John.Mason.Jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:18:37 -0500

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 19:00, Knutsen, Vicki wrote:
> Yea
> But the exchange server was kind of expensive and it doesn't do such a
> good job of filtering spam  -so does that mean that we got what we
> paid for? You would think an email server would do that piece well!
> But I do understand your warning- isn't free better than nothing if it
> blocks one email effectively?  I am so sick of SPAM and the filtering
> on Exchange 2000 isn't worth much really.
> Vicki

As you look at spam solutions you need to get some real data points to
help with your selection.

1) Can you reject mail outright, or must it be placed in some form of
quarantine to avoid loss of a false positive.

2) Are there any restrains on network usage ie the bandwidth used to for
DNS bl lookups or other network tests Razor,Pyzor, or DCC.

3) Are there constraints on the machine the software must run on does it
have to be on the Exchange server or can you spare a machine to be your
filtering box.

4) Can you run a separate *nix box do filtering

5) Is there a particular type of test that you want to implement.

6) Bayesian filtration or some other learning process

7) Filter site wide by same rules, or do you need individual rules

If you want free I think a Linux box would be the key, I would recommend
taking a look at

John Mason