RE: How to defrag the Exchange Database

  • From: "Kamire, Thomas" <Thomas.Kamire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:37:02 +0300

Please follow the Microsoft recommended solution below:

PSS ID Number: 186291

Article Last Modified on 8/6/2002

----

Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server

----

SUMMARY
Exchange Server does not include a utility that allows you to determine how
much free space is available in an Exchange Server database. You may need to
determine how much space is available to help you decide whether you need to
perform an offline defragmentation.
MORE INFORMATION
Microsoft recognizes the need for people to determine how much free space is
available in an Exchange Server database. In Exchange Server 5.5 and later,
the amount of free space that is available in a database is displayed in an
event that is logged in the event log after an online defragmentation of the
database is performed. Note that the online defragmentation is performed
automatically during normal information store maintenance. In addition, note
that the event is logged in the event log even if the associated logging
level is set to None.

Events that are similar to the following events are logged in the event log
Event: 1221
Source: MSExchangeIS Private
Type: Information
Category: General
defragmentation has terminated.

Event: 1221
Source: MSExchangeIS Public
Type: Information
Category: General
defragmentation has terminated.

where nnn is the amount of free space that is available in megabytes.

NOTE: In Exchange 2000, the event ID 1221 message description contains the
following text
The database "storage_group\mailbox_store (server_name)" has nnn megabytes
of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

where storage_group is the name of the storage group, mailbox_store is the
name of the mailbox store, server_name is the name of the Exchange 2000
Server computer, and nnn is the amount of free space that is available in
megabytes.

NOTE: To determine the total space, make sure that you take the total of the
event ID 1221 messages between the event ID 179 (beginning of full pass of
OLD) and either event ID 180 (completed full pass of OLD) or 182 (completed
resumed pass of OLD).

If one of the preceding events indicates that significant free space is
available in the database and you recently performed an operation that may
have caused a large number of objects to be removed from the database, you
may want to perform an offline defragmentation. The following are some
examples of operations that may cause a large number of objects to be
removed from the database:
Moving a large number of users to a different server.
Changing the retention time or disk quota for deleted items.
Receiving a large number of messages (for example, junk e-mail), and then
deleting the messages.
To perform an offline defragmentation of the database, perform the following
steps.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that you only perform an offline defragmentation
of the database when you have performed an operation that caused a large
number of objects to be removed from the database. Performing an offline
defragmentation under any other circumstances may actually hurt database
performance.
Stop the information store service:
In Control Panel, double-click Services.
Click the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, and then click Stop.
If a dialog box is displayed that states that additional services will be
stopped, note the services that will be stopped, and then click OK.
Defragment the public and private information stores by using one of the
following methods, as applicable:
In Exchange Server 5.5, to defragment the private information store, type
eseutil /d /ispriv at a command prompt, and then press the ENTER key. To
defragment the public information store, type eseutil /d /ispub at a command
prompt, and then press the ENTER key.
In Exchange 2000, there is no /ispriv, /ispub, or /ds switch. You must
specify the file name by typing the following at a command prompt
eseutil /d d:\path\file_name.edb

and then pressing the ENTER key.
Start the information store service:
In Control Panel, double-click Services.
Click the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, and then click
Start.
Start any additional services that were stopped when you performed step 1.
Perform a full online backup of the information store databases.

This feature is included in the latest Microsoft Exchange Server version 5.5
U.S. service pack. For information on obtaining the service pack, query on
the following word in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (without the spaces):
S E R V P A C K

For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the
articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
178931 XADM: Database Size After Offline Defrag Not Same as Total K

181824 XADM: Jet Doesn't Detect Removed Page in B-tree Split Operation

185271 XADM: Orphaned LV Errors Running ESEUTIL Consistency Checker

Additional query words: off-line defrag eseutil /d

Technology: kbExchange2000Search kbExchange2000Serv kbExchange550
kbExchangeSearch kbZNotKeyword2

----

Send feedback to Microsoft

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.