[ExchangeList] Re: How do you split up datastores

  • From: "Taylor, George" <GTaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:44:59 -0700

As for backups, right now we do nightly fulls and hourly logs via Tivoli
Storage Manager, times (for the backups) are well within my window.  I
do have a grievence with restores which is why I'm looking at spliting
the stores more.  If TSM isn't very busy I can restore my main users (to
a test server with inferior hardware) in about 3 hours, that seems long
to me.  Knock on wood I've never had to restore this system to
production, but that should be faster due to the major difference in
We've just implemented dual datacenters with, I believe, 8gig of network
and 4gig of SAN connectivity between them.  My goal is to use Metro
Mirroring or Snapshot technology for DR and simply having a nightly
backup for that "Opps" from the user.
Drive configuration is a standard database server setup, 3 drive
(OS/Database/Logs), the OS is on a local pair, database is on a SAN RAID
5 and the logs on a SAN RAID 1.  I've been running on the same setup for
a little over 3 years now and performance has just recently started to
drop a little, but then I've gone from less than 20gig in Exchange 5.5
to well over 200 gig in Exchange 2000, so I expect to see the hit.
I'm looking at the idea of 3 mailbox servers with 2 stores each and then
plan for growth in some fashion.  Perhaps going with a 4 drive setup
(OS/DB/DB/LOGS), is anyone doing that right now?
George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.