[ExchangeList] Re: How do I diagnose an Spammers use of my system

  • From: Simon Butler <simon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:28:42 +0000

I can pretty much guarantee that there is not an infected machine in your network.
Bots do not relay their email through a server on the same network. You may want to read my blog posting on this subject: http://www.sembee.co.uk/archive/2008/03/13/73.aspx
Logon Type 3, while it usually means another machine on the network, is also used by IIS. Therefore I suspect that you have been the subject of an authenticated user attack, and the spammer has got hold of a user account in your domain. Therefore you need to change the password on that account, and on the administrator account and then restart the SMTP service services. Removing the Exchange store was probably a little over the top, it isn't something I would have done.
AV on the workstations and the server will not prove that something didn't get past, but as I don't think you have a BOT on your network this isn't a concern. You need to be looking at the source of the SMTP traffic to begin with, which is probably coming from outside.

Simon Butler
MVP: Exchange, MCSE
Amset IT Solutions Ltd.

e: simon@xxxxxxxxxxx
w: www.amset.co.uk
w: www.amset.info

Need cheap certificates for Exchange, compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0?
http://CertificatesForExchange.com/ for certificates from just $23.99.