RE: Housing Exchange 2000 server on new hardware

  • From: "Simon Butler" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:35:32 +0100

Is the original server still alive?
If so, then there is a much simpler way that is guaranteed success.

Simply build the new server as normal, with a new name and IP address.
Install all the components as required.
If you insist on going against good practises and making this machine a
domain controller, then DCPROMO it in to the new domain and make it a
global catalog. As an aside, the old machine would probably make a fine
domain controller on its own, allowing the new machine to be a member

Then install Exchange and bring it up to the same service pack level as
the existing server.
Configure replication of public and system folders.

Once replication is working correctly, use the Move mailbox wizard to
move the users across to the new server.
Leave the new server running until all the clients have logged in at
least once. They will be automatically redirected to the new server. I
usually leave it about a week.

You are then ready to remove the original Exchange server.
To do this, follow this article at the MS KB:
This will also guide you on what system folders need to be replicated to
the new server, so is useful through the migration process.

The above procedure is almost risk free, does not involve any downtime
to the users and allows the entire migration to be done in a controlled
manner instead of rushed against the clock at the weekend.

Simon Butler
MCP, MCSA, MVP:Exchange
Senior Systems Administrator
Amset IT Solutions Ltd.