RE: Housing Exchange 2000 server on new hardware

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:20:30 -0700

If you look at information at, search the list archives,
search MS KB and go aGoogling, you will find plenty of information on what
to do. What you are doing is nothing new, and plenty of Exchange admins have
done it through time.

You have 3 choices listed in order of preference:

1. Bring up new Exchange server. Move mail boxes. Decommission and take down
old Exchange server. (Cleanest way)

2. Use disaster recovery steps to move existing Exchange to new server. (A
lot of work and you have to make sure to cross all T's and dot all I's)

3. Ghost original server to new server. (This is a pass-fail. It may work
75% of the time. Upon starting the new server after applying image, the OS
has to re-find and re-install all the hardware. If it completes successfully
with 2-3 restarts, and Device Manager shows absolutely no warnings or errors
after completed, you have about a 97% chance that it is successful.)

John T

eServices For You