RE: High CPU usage

  • From: "Lee Swanson" <swanson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:02:36 -0500

MessageI had this happen on a machine and it should not take up all the
available memory. We had less than 50 mailboxes w/ 640 MB RAM that had been
running just fine for almost a year until one day it was taking 99% of cpu
noted on task manager -- Users could not use oultlook client.

We were using Exchange SP1 and CA InoculateIT 6 w/ Exchange Option. Had just
rec'd a new virus def at the time. What we did was killed the Store.exe w/ a
kill utility (Since it wouldn't stop & rebooting machine even w/ cold shutdown
did not work). Ran a eseutil w/  recovery and defrag options along w/ g swtich
(3 different runs). None showed any errors. But after starting the store again,
things seemed to work w/ resources back where they were. We then updated to SP2
and the next day new virus defs were out. Everythings' been work fine since
last week. Not sure if virus defs caused problems in someway or actually
manually killing the store took care of it.

Any insight or explanation from anyone is appreciated. Thanks!

Lee