RE: Hi all

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <M.Hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:13:56 +0200

In order for anyone to get an email address in the *@bounceme.net
namespace, no-ip, the registrant, would have to offer pop3 services. Or
put in other words you can only receive mails for the domain you
register, and since you haven't registered the domain bounceme.net (wich
is obviously owned by no-ip and therefore impossible to obtain), you
will not receive mails for this domain.

In general terms, an email domain namespace does not have to be
secondlevel only (name.tld), you can have almost any nesting here. To
draw a clearer picture: suppose you registered mydomain.com and wanted
to delegate mails to the sales department to a completely different mail
server. You'd create a subdomain in DNS like sales.mydomain.com and put
an MX record in there that points to the other server. This is what
no-ip actually does. You have an email (sub) domain
deepblue.bounceme.net and your host name just happens to be the same,
hence probably the confusion.

Read more about DNS and MX here:
http://www.dyndns.org/support/kb/mxrecords.html

Regards