Re: Hi

  • From: "Devin McBride" <devin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:32:04 -0700

Perhaps I missed some of the emails as I dont see any arabic country bashing.
I'm sure people from every country been ignorant at one point or another when
it comes to security practice, including myself...

On to the discussion!

Danny pointed out a few very good ideas to start with:
1) Get a firewall; yesterday. If you want a personal recommendation,
email me off-list.
2) Read the documentation provided by the firewall vendor.
3) Implement the firewall in the most secure configuration possibly
without limiting essential functionality.
4) In future, do not email Microsoft Exchange mailing lists with
questions about which hacking tools are recommended to damage your
server.

On top of this, perhaps a firewall is (for some odd reason) out of the question
for the moment.  I cant think of any good reasons why spending $500-2000 for a
good firewall would be an issue for a 40 person company, but I'll play along...

1) harden your server - lots you can do here but the basics are dont run any
services you dont use...turn them all off
2) look into some sort of IDS system - if you cant afford a firewall, I'm not
sure what good this will do you
3) You also have a number of different tools to test your server if you like
including Nessus, NetRecon, Nmap, SAFEsuite, SATAN (Security Administrator's
Tool for Analyzing Networks), SAINT (Security Administrator's Integrated
Network Tool), Tiger Tools TigerSuite  .... take a look at satan or saint
possibly as I believe they both detect issues, explain the problem and its
impact, as well as how to fix it

I do have to agree with John on this however as I dont think anyone should be
jumping onto a production server without some sort of solid background in the
matter and thorough research before.

Just to clarify, you are also running terminal services on this server box?

FYI, giving us the ip would not matter...someone who actually wants to hack
your server can easily find it using widely available ip scanning tools...

DM