RE: HW Considerations

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:08:50 -0400

Redundancy is expensive and doesn't negate the need for a solid
backup/restore/business continuity plan.  There is no fault tolerant
solutions that can guarantee that hardware won't corrupt your system and
require you to go to tape.
High-availability solutions are plentiful.  Built in is the ability to
cluster which can be very helpful.  That would then require a lot more money
on your part, but it could be helpful.  You can implement Active/Passive
clusters up to 8 nodes in Exchange 2003.
For either of these solutions, the money you would have to spend is not less
by a long shot.  My advice would be to clearly define your business
requirements and work from that.  If you get the business requirements
solidified and management believes in them, then you will only need to buy
what is needed for the business requirements instead of being a technical
person asking for gizmos.