HELP: Unable to purge or reconnect mailbox. (Phantom/Ghost Mailbox)

  • From: "Wakelin, Frank" <fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:54:59 -0800

We had a problem during a mailbox move process and one mailbox seems to have
been created on the destination server/store but still exists on the source
server/store.  Now attempts to move this mailbox fail (I assume because the
destination mailbox already exists).  The mailbox appears as disconnected (red
X) in ESM with 0 size/items.

Attempting to reconnect the mailbox to an account generates the following error:

"This operation can not be performed because this mailbox was already
reconnected to an existing user."

followed by:

This object has not been replicated to the destination server yet.  Wait for
replication to complete and try again.
Operation: Updating Mailbox Resources on server 'servername'...
ID no: c1031731
Exchange System Manager

Trying to purge the account gives the following error:

"The operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected
to an existing user"
ID no: c1038af9
Exchange System Manager

Nothing is logged on the Exchange Server event logs.  The source mailbox is
intact and the user is accessing it from there without a problem.  We would
like to decommision this server (the reason for the move in the first place)
but I can get rid of the phantom mailbox on the new server to move this mailbox
over.  Please help...
  _____

Frank Wakelin
Network Analyst
direct tel.: 604.640.4096
fax: 604.622.5911
fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

  <http://www.blgcanada.com/nav/mainLogo.gif>

Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
1200 Waterfront Centre
200 Burrard Street, P.O. Box 48600
Vancouver, B.C., Canada V7X 1T2
www.blgcanada.com <http://www.blgcanada.com/>

WE INTEND THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY NAMED IN
THE ADDRESSEE FIELD.  THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE OR AN EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING
THIS MESSAGE TO THE ADDRESSEE, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY TELEPHONE,
PERMANENTLY DESTROY ANY COPIES YOU MAY HAVE AND RETURN THIS DOCUMENT TO US AT
OUR EXPENSE AT THE E-MAIL ADDRESS NOTED ABOVE.  ANY DISSEMINATION OR COPYING OF
THIS MESSAGE BY ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ADDRESSEE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
WARNING: EMAIL MAY NOT BE SECURE UNLESS PROPERLY ENCRYPTED.