HELP!!! URGENT POP3 relay problem

  • From: vsina@xxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:15:03 -0700

I am desperate so I would greatly appreciate some assistance with the
following problem:

We run Exchange 2000 using POP3 with Netscape as the client.  Several
months ago our mail server was used as a open relay station.  We have
closed the relay but ever since then we've been having the following
problem:

Users are able to receive their exchange email regardless of which ISP
they are using.  All users are able to send emails locally through their
ISP to anyusername@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  However, only users who are using
dial-up from home are able to send email messages to domains other than
ours.  When ssers with cable modem/DSL for ISP attempt to send email to a
domain other than ours they receive the following error message: "5.7.1
unable to relay for username@xxxxxxx please check the message recipients
and try again".

Our default SMTP relay restrictions are set up for "Only the list below"
and ourdomain.com is granted access (NOTE: we do not have STMP connectors
setup; do we need to?).  The "Allow all computers which successfully
authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above" box is checked.  I
know that in Outlook Express there is a selection for "my server requires
authentication", but I don't see such a setting in Netscape.  Is this the
problem?  We also have a firewall in place.  Could our firewall be the
problem?

I have read through tons of stuff on the web and gotten some great
information, but I still haven't resolved the issue.  PLEASE HELP!!!

TIA,
Valerie