RE: HELP! STORE.EXE Suddenly takes about 99% o f CPU

  • From: "Lara, Greg" <GLara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:53:16 -0400

We've had this problem on Exchange 5.5 running on a Windows 2k box. I think
it's an Ex 5.5 problem, and not necessarily related to the underlying OS.
The store.exe can spring a memory leak, and slowly, or quickly, run memory
and CPU utilization up to 100%.

I suggest running an off-line defrag using eseutil. The information store
(and related services) will have to be stopped. The command line is eseutil
/d /ispriv, and you might need to run it from the exchsvr\bin directory. If
there is corruption in the store, it will tell you. Fixing store corruption
isn't for the faint of heart, and I strongly recommend getting assistance
from Microsoft if that turns out to be the case. Sometimes an off-line
defrag can clear up problems such as this, but chances are you'll need to
take some further steps as well.

If you haven't already run the performance optimizer, I suggest doing that
as well, to ensure your registry settings are set appropriately. You can
also try re-applying service pack 4.

--
Greg Lara

notify the sender by return e-mail.  If you are not the intended
prohibited.