HDD configurations for Advanced server 2000+Exchange2000

  • From: "Sanjeev Srivastava" <sanjeevmcse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:59:42 -0600

Here is a configuration request. I have a new server in hand. On the same
machine, I have to install:
1. Win2k advanced server
2. Exchange 2000 for 100 users, each with 10 MB mailbox size.( And allow
for future additions)

My hardware is:
1. First HDD 40 GB
2. Second HDD 17 GB
3. 512 MB RAM

I have planned to:
On First HDD of 40 GB:
1. Install the OS and Exchange 2000 on a 5GB partition.
2. Place the mailbox store on a 30 GB partition.
3. Place the swapfile of 2 GB on the last 5 GB partition(To prevent its

On Second HDD of 17 GB
4. Place the transaction logfiles on a 5 GB partition.

Please comment on my configuration and suggest improvements. Like, will
moving the swapfile to the second disk be better? You get that warning of
debugging information in the event of crash but who reads it anyway?
Thanks in advance.