[ExchangeList] Re: Groupshield for Exchange v6.0

  • From: Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:41:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Chris.

Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You do understand that Groupshield?s main purpose is to scan the Exchange Stores for virus?- it does not scan at the file level?.   Of course it also scans active SMTP sessions, and provides some (ugh) ?anti-spam? features.  There are really no ?folders? to exclude with Groupshield, unless you do not want to scan a certain Store or Public Folder.

I personally have scheduled scans to occur on our stores and once per week on Saturday during non-business hours.  This scan?s purpose is to weed out any virus? that may have made it into the organization before a ?dat? (virus definition) update was available.  Of course, if an updated DAT is provided, it should catch the virus if it ever tries to be delivered over SMTP in the future (without the need of an in depth scan).

KEY THOUGHTS ? verify you do NOT schedule an in depth virus scan during your backup times and also do not scan during your scheduled ?Maintenance Intervals? for each store.  You can find your Maintenance Interval info in the properties of each Store on the ?Database? tab?  Backups, Virus Scans and Maintenance Intervals should all be scheduled during different times.

Regards,

Chris Wall - MCSE + Messaging
Sr. Exchange Administrator
T (919) 460.3236