Global mailboxes

  • From: "Darren Faulke" <darren.faulke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 16:22:35 +0100

I just joined.

I set-up and run the network for a small engineering consultancy (stress
analysis etc. for nuclear industry).  It has been a pretty difficult but
rewarding past year considering I am an engineer myself and had no
experience of domain controllers, e-mail servers etc.  Despite my handicap,
I have managed to set up a windows 2000 network with windows 2000 SBS on a
single server, and it works well enough.  Help forums and resources like
this have been absolutely invaluable in helping me sort out problems and
learn so much in six months, it makes my head hurt.

One small problem I have been having lately is to do with our e-mail system,
which picks up e-mail from a single pop3 mailbox.  We have a registered
domain name with a forwarding facility so all of our e-mail is forwarded to
a single pop3 mailbox.  Our exchange 2000 pop3 connector connects according
to a schedule and sends the e-mail to each users mailbox.  Now is the bit
that I don't fully understand.  How does exchange know which e-mail is for
whom if it is all in one mailbox?  The reason I ask is because any e-mail
sent directly to the pop3 mailbox is bounced by our server.  So, forwarded
e-mail with our domain name gets through to each recipient, but e-mail sent
directly to the global pop3 mailbox doesn't.  I don't want to give someone
in our domain the same e-mail address as the global pop3 mailbox in case
they then receive all of our companies e-mail.

If anyone can decipher my rambling then you are one of a few
(lucky/unfortunate) individuals that can.  If you can then offer me any
help/advice/suggestions, I will love you forever.

Many thanks

quasi/pseudo administrator.

** This e-mail message and any attachments are private and intended
** solely for the intended recipient(s).
** Any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents by
** anyone other than the recipient(s) is prohibited and
** may be unlawful.
** This message has been sent from
** Engineering Analysis Services Limited,
** 8/10 Ashley Road,
** Altrincham
** Cheshire
** WA14 2DW
** United Kingdom
** Telephone: 0161 923 0070
** Registered in England (Number 2266443).