[ExchangeList] Front-end + Multiple Back-ends

  • From: "Mike French" <mike.french@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:27:09 -0600

Exchange 2003 Standard current SP's and Patches on Windows 2003 Standard
SP1 with same.

Current Scenario:

Single front-end server

Single Back-end server

We are migrating to new hardware on the back-end, during this process I
will be taking my time and testing throughout. In the first Phase of
deployment of the new exchange server, I will move five mailboxes
including my own to the new server (The "Eat your own dog food" applies
here). My question is: Will the front-end server know that these five
mailboxes no longer exist on the old server and re-direct to the new
server? I think it will with the DSAccess service, but haven't done this
and want to see what others have experienced. Since I will do this
slowly and in Phase's, I want to make sure that OWA will still function
during the migration. During the migration we will end up with a single
front-end server and two back-end servers in the same routing group.
This will disappear in the midterm and we will end up back in a single
front-end and single back-end topology. I've read the "Front-End and
Back-End Server topology Guide for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003" and
it's a little vague on this scenario. Any input would be appreciated!

Mike French

Acclaim Networks
754 Port America Place
Suite 150