RE: Forwarding mail to an external server

  • From: Jared Teche <jared.teche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:18:29 -0500

Well - I guess it depends.
Do you want the user to be able to get their mail from your server as well
as the external source?

The way we do these is that the user doesn't have a mailbox.  They just have
the custom recipient.

Of course the trick to this is any filter you have on the IMC.  Internal
users can't send to this recipient unless they are able to send to the IMC.

If you want the user to have their own inbox and get mail from both sources
(I'm not sure why you would do this) you will probably want to just set up a
rule on the mailbox to redirect all of the mail to the external address.
The downside to this is that on the external and, it appears as if the
e-mail was addressed directly to the external address and to no-one else.
For instance, if it was sent to a group of people and cc'd to them as an FYI
or whatever, it will look to them as if it was sent only to them.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks,

Jared Teche
Network Administrator
SITEL Corporation
jteche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
608-827-3862

SITEL IT, Information Technology at the speed of NOW!!