[ExchangeList] Re: First Email of the morning

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:30:26 -0600

Maybe Perfmon..  Run it on both your server and your workstation for a
few hours each side of that "first" email.  On the workstation look at
memory, cpu and network.  On the server look at the same but throw in
physicaldisk/current queue length and MSExchangeIS RPC packets (I
think).  Basically you want to see if anything is maxing out, the RPC
stats will show you if your server has enough threads available, memory,
disk and CPU are pretty much self explanatory.  As usual check both
system and application logs for any signs of DNS or domain issues, it's
all related, if you have DNS or domain security issues and so forth
you'll see Exchange problems also.

With 15 people in the company are you running Exchange on your DC?  If
so your server may simply be breathing a little hard or your seeing
symptoms of an uglier issue like HW failure or Domain issues.  I run
over 6,000 users on 3 Exchange servers (beefy servers) and it doesn't
happen all that much, but we do see a lag every now and then, specially
when someone sends out one of those 20MB attachments.

Hope this helps some,

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.