[ExchangeList] Re: Failure to Mount exchange database -Exchange 2000 server

  • From: kimiagar <kimiagar1974@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 05:11:14 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------This is what works for
us on exchange2k:

Production Restore for Exchange:

This procedure to be used when exchange server and
windows intstall need to be restored from scratch.

Set up the Exchange server

1)      Install Windows 2000 with IIS, NNTP
2)      Set up the same volumes and drive letters as the
original exchange =
server.
3)      Install all windows service packs and security
updates
4)      Add system to domain using same  exchange server
name and IP address
=
as the original exchange server.
5)      Run setup for exchange with /forestprep (base
install)
6)      Run setup for exchange with/domainprep (base
install)
7)      Run setup for exchange with/disasterrecovery
(select normal items)
8)      After Exchange has installed
System Attendant service will not start
9)      Install Exchange SP's (same service pack that the
original Exchange
=
server was running)
10)     Reboot
11)     Mount all Information Stores. (it will create
blank databases)
Un-mount all Information Stores  - if you forgot to
install the same =
exchange service pack as the original server you will
have to stop the
=
information store service, delete the database files,
install the =
exchange service pack, start the information store
service, mount the =
information stores again to re-create the files.
12)     Go to directory of the First Storage groups files
and delete all =
files in this directory - usually "c:\tmp\First
Storage Group"
13)     Open up Exchange System Manager
Drill down Servers -> <Computer Name> -> First Storage
Group
Go into properties for all the nodes under the storage
group
Click on the Database Tab and select the checkbox
"This database can be
=
overwritten by a restore"
14)     Use BackupExec to restore the information store
selecting the full
=
and incrementals for that backup set.
15)     When the job appears to be finished it will still
take a =
considerable amount of time for the restore to
initialize the exchange
=
database so the restore job will appear to be hung.
There should be =
activity on the information store drive at this point.
 This could take
=
an hour or two.

This information was gathered from the following
resources:

http://www.ssw.com.au/ssw/Standards/DeveloperInstallationNetworkSetup/Res=
toringADAndExchangeFromADisaster.aspx - excellent
article on exchange =
restores with step by step instructions.

http://www.msexchange.org - lot's of general info
about exchange.

http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid1_gci928681,00.html

=
- article on transfer of fsmo roles.

http://x220.win2ktest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3D5923
- a =
conversation about test exchange restores

http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/20015/pg/1/1.html
- article
=
on exchange restores