Failed Exchange 2003 setup part II

  • From: "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Exchange List (E-mail)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 00:32:06 +0100

This is an update to a previous post. Basically I have tried to install
Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 server running sp4.

All the prerequisites have been met and dcdiag and netdiag didn't throw
any errors. This is the only server on the domain.

When first installed forestprep and domainprep ran without error. The
next chain of events is a bit hazy as it was late at night, but I think
the setup failed complaining of a lack of disk space. Disk space on the
system drive was not high about 500mb, but I was installing onto E:.

Only 3 services (info store, mta stacks and system attendant) are
installed and there are no menu items for Exchange on the start menu.
Some directories such as mdbdata are missing and there is no priv1 or
pub1 files to be seen!

If I run the install again forestprep and domainprep run fine and the
final setup claims it needs 1mb and then completes without error.

If I run it with the disaster recovery option I get the error outlined
in the previous post i.e.
"Setup failed while installing-sub component information store service
with error code 0x80072030 (please consult the installation logs for a
detailed description) You may cancel the setup or try the failed step
again"

and the Exchange log has the following entries

[14:46:24]  CAtomMDB::ScTakeAllStoresOffline
(f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\exsetdata\components\server\a_mdb.cxx:3097)
           Error code 0X80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the
server.
[14:46:24]  CAtomMDB::ScForklift
(f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\exsetdata\components\server\a_mdb.cxx:259)
           Error code 0X80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the
server.
[14:46:24] mode = 'Disaster Recovery' (61959) CBaseAtom::ScSetup
(f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\setupbase\basecomp\baseatom.cxx:842)
           Error code 0X80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the
server.

I guess this is because there are no databases to recover. I can't seem
to uninstall it and can't think of any other options to try.

TIA

Andy