RE: FW: SMTP Domain Name Change

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:57:57 -0500

Thoughts in-line

From: Huang, Li-Ming [mailto:li-ming.huang@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 1:17 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] FW: SMTP Domain Name Change

Try to send again...

-----Original Message-----
From: Huang, Li-Ming
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 12:31 PM
To: '[ExchangeList]'

Here is my partially solution, Let me know what you think. Please give some
thought of my questions in the Email.

1)    Register the new domain name and delegate the new domain zone
to the existing DNS server in A and B. The DNS server could be the existing
external and internal DNS server. [Mulnick, Al]  I wouldn't use an
internal/external server for this.  Best practice is to use an external only
server for external facing DNS.  Small point.

2)    Add a new MX record to reflect the new domain name in the DNS servers
mentioned above.

3)    Use header.exe utility to create CSV header file with

*     Obj-Class

*     Directory Name

*     E-mail Addresses

*     Secondary-Proxy-Addresses

4)    Use the head file and use Exchange Admin Tool to export all mailboxes
to the head file xxx.CSV

5)    Use Microsoft Excel working on the xxx.CSV file, open the xxx.CSV

6)    In the Secondary-Proxy-Address field, add the new xxx.xxxx@xxxxxxx for
all mailboxes. (Note: need to automate the process)

7)    Remove the E-Mail Addresses column, so there only Obj-Class,
DirectoryName, and Secondary-Proxy-Addresses columns in the header file.

8)    Save the header file and keep the format.

9)    Import the header file xxx.CSV into the Exchange Server Directory.
This should add the secondary-proxy-address to all users which have both
primary and secondary SMTP addresses.

10)   Repeat step 3 to step 9 on every Exchange site.[Mulnick, Al]  as long
as that works for you.  I'd modify that process a little, but only for
efficiency.  might even script it.

11)   Use the Exchange Server Administrator program and open the properties
for the Internet Mail Service. On the Routing tab, if the Internal Mail
Service is configured to reroute SMTP, verify the and the or are listed there. If they are not there, add them in there.[Mulnick,
Al]  Not really re-route, but accept as incoming here right?

1)    Does the solution work for resolving the issue in a multiple Exchange
organization and sites environment?[Mulnick, Al]  I think there's some
things missing.  See next note.

2)    Is there any missing in the solution?[Mulnick, Al]  You don't list a
way to prevent duplicate email addresses.  For example, what if you have a
jjohnson@xxxxx <mailto:jjohnson@xxxxx>  and a jjohnson@xxxxx
<mailto:jjohnson@xxxxx>  and you then try to create a jjohnson@xxxxxxx
<mailto:jjohnson@xxxxxxx>  ??  What was your plan for that?  You also don't
mention anything for keeping the directories fresh.  That's something that
has to be worked out as well.

3)    Do we need a powerful IMS server (or server farm) to route all Email
with the new for 500K users in A and B? If yes, do have any existing
document address IMS server farm configuration?[Mulnick, Al]  An IMS server
isn't necessarily going to do what you need.  The answer to the size will
depend on what the mail flow statistics are (size, amount, etc) and
requirements.  The key to this solution is to use a smart host that knows
where the users are located.  This could be different solutions but I would
look for something that can read a directory (LDAP preferred) that you can
update programmatically.  That's my preference, but I prefer stable
processes and ease of use solutions. Windows 200x server can handle the
traffic as can many other solutions, like Sendmail, postfix, etc.  The
deciding factor to me is going to come when you decide what your total
solution is going to be because your directory update feature will help
dictate what the smart host solution is.  It wouldn't be outside my comfort
zone to use Windows 200x servers with a dedicated directory service (Active
Directory?) to hold the routing information and a meta-directory solution
which would feed Exchange 5.5 account information to this directory.  A
Sendmail host with an alias file or even using LDAP features could do the
same if you're more comfortable with that approach or want to get rid of
Exchange 5.5.  Exchange 200x can fulfill this as well, but it's not as clean
as I'd like; it is possible though as is a dedicated 5.5 org for this

4)    Is there any utility or scripts which can be used to automate the
creation of the head file xxx.CSV?[Mulnick, Al]  The header.exe creates the
export file that you then target Exchange admin to use.  Is that what you

Keep in mind that what you're talking about is likely to have low amounts of
traffic?  Why?  Because you are not proposing (for some reason I can't
discern from this thread) why they are not sending as user@xxxxxxx
<mailto:user@xxxxxxx>  but want to accept for that domain.  That's really
odd to me, but if that's the requirement, so be it.  Since they won't be
sending as user@xxxxxxx <mailto:user@xxxxxxx> , they will only get email
from people that know of that new address and use it which is likely few.  I
would have thought that they'd send and receive as the new domain, but....

Regard, -LiMing