FW: Listserv: False Error Reports

  • From: "Jamie A. Byrnes" <jabyrnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:37:49 +0930

Since noone has pointed this out I thought I would.

The reject notices are caused by the fact that:
1. Your message WAS delivered to the list and
2. message was sent to mailboxes that no longer exist and
3. mailbox was on a non Exchange server and
4. the server didn't honor the return path and instead used the reply to
address and
5. an NDR was issued therefore back to the listserver with the original
message id tag and
6. the listserver spits it and DOES honor the return path.

Its been years since I read the RFC relating to error return behavior,
however I believe this is correct behaviour (by the listserver, not the
error producer). There isn't much that can be done with code, but the
dist list should be culled after a certain number of returns.