FW: Deploying Exchange 2003

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:52:01 -0500

It's an interesting thought Alex.  I think that concept still comes back to
trusting a single appliance (Ironmail in this case, but could have been ISA,
Squid, or any other layer-7 firewall/proxy device) for your security.  In
your case, you took it a step further and put OWA in a separate zone as well
I presume in case an attacker gets past the appliance.  But I wonder if
that's helpful or meets the clients requirements?  What I mean is this: If I
open all the ports from the OWA zone to the rest of the network, what's the
point of separating it off?  FE to BE communication only requires TCP 80 to
Exchange but unfortunately needs a lot more to communicate with the Active
Directory.  Once you've given all of the access required, you may as well
have put it on the internal network altogether due to the high amount of
ports set to allow traffic.  In the end, it's a lot more complexity, without
a lot of return (IMHO).

So I'm curious to know what the expectation is of a separate OWA zone?  I'm
interested to learn more about the concept if you can spare the time.

Al

  _____