FE/BE vs standalone

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:24:41 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to decide on the best architecture for a new installation.
This will have 350 users, average mailbox sizes and traffic (100MB
mailboxes typically).  I am OK for figuring out how much space I need.

Question is architecture:

a) for this many (or few?) users, should I consider a front end/back end
configuration or is a single-server installation sufficient (e.g. a
P4/3GHz server with 1GB RAM) ?  What would the benefits of FE/BE be over
stand alone?

b) I will also set up a clustered active/passive backup server.  Are there
any recommendations regarding FE/BE in a clustered environment?

c) The customer has a SAN and seems keenly interested in the notion of
setting up the server to boot off the SAN.  Is this a recommended method
(best practices)?  Booting workstations off of the SAN is one thing but
booting mission critical servers off of a SAN might be risky?  Thoughts?

best regards
Mike Salim