FE as SMTP server

  • From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:40:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have Exchange FE in DMZ and BE in internal network. I also have sendmail on
linux in DMZ which is SMTP gateway. Mails from BE are forwarded to linux
gateway and incoming comes to linux gateway and then to BE server.

Now I am planning to get mails from Linux gateway to FE server instead of BE.
By doing this I hope to allow relaying mails to outside world for authenticated
users.

To do this I need to enable SMTP on FE server for which I need to start
Information store on this for mail queue.

Is there a better solution or do you recommend this solution. Please let me
know your inputs.

I use Exchange 2003 with SP1 on windows 2003 server.

Redhat linux 3.0 ES

Best regards

Praveen R

Yahoo! Sports