RE: Expanding C drive on Windows 2003

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:15:05 -0400

If you have a hardware RAID controller that allows you to expand the
array, then you can do it. If you want to do it at Windows Server OS
level, using the Windows Disk manager, then you cannot expand your
system drives. Windows will allow expansion of only non-system drives.
This is due to the fact that S/W based drive expansions are not visible
to the OS while boot up, and becomes visible only after the kernel is
loaded. So, if your system drive cannot be a S/W based expanded drive.

Raj Periyasamy
Systems Administrator
MCSE(Messaging), CCNA