Re: Exmerge Question

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:54:03 -0500

Hi Tim, here is my latest response. :)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:14:10 -0900, Tim Jordan <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> I'm doing a server replacment this weekend.  It's a small network using
> SBS 2000 with about 15 users.
> I plan to pull the hard drives and install new drives then do a clean
> install of SBS 2003.
>
> My plan is to export the Public Folders and users email to .pst files
> and then import them back in when the new server is up and all accounts
> have been created.
>
> Going from workstation to workstation will be very time consuming.  Will
> Exmerge help in my scenario?

My understanding of Exmerge is that it will essentially allow you to:

A) Export Exchange mailboxes to PST's
B) Import PST's into Exchange mailboxes
C) All the scenarios associated with A & B

Therefore, in your situation, I see Exmerge benefiting by enabling you
to import/merge the extracted PST's into all the users Exchange
mailboxes. Rather than telling all of your users to move/copy their
mail items manually from their PST into their new Exchange mailboxes.

> Bonus question:
> The guys I work for have ghosted all the workstations at our client site
> and did not change the SID on the workstations before joining to domain.
> The domain controller (currently running Samba) will be replaced at this
> site with SBS 2003.  What would be the best way to join the existing
> workstations to the new domain without encountering a conflict with
> duplicate computer SIDs?

Dis-join them from the old and join them to the new. I think you can
script if this if you don't want to move to each computer manually.
See the MS script center.

...D