[ExchangeList] RE: [ExchangeList] RE: [ExchangeList] Re: Smart Phones

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:27:12 -0400

I have over 250 Blackberry Users to support.  If they all had WM5 smart
phones, I'd have at least 25 calls per day for the phones alone, based
on the calls I get for the 5 or so users currently using WM5 phones.  If
I had to support 25 users, I might think differently.

Yes, you can set password policy and a remote wipe, but  the fact still
remains there is no way to restrict anything else on those devices.

I have a stout server infrastructure, I'm not concerned about the MAPI
connections.  I'm not concerned about my BES account being hacked
either. Use a secure password.   It's very easy to make a password that
"cannot" be cracked.

It might be differnet in other large companies, but in the places I've
worked, the purchasing department and the departments that support to
the phones decide what phones users get, not the users.  There is no
room for the user to dictate what phone they want to use, when the
company has to provide the support for it.  There are minor exceptions,
such as for executives, but this is very rare.

Training doesn't prevent users from doing things to their unrestricted
phones that cause them to stop working.  No amount of training can do
that.  Users can, and will play.  BES lets you prevent their ability to
play, which is why I (and many others) choose it.