Exchange2003 SP1 for ESM Question

  • From: "Paul Deen" <pdeen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 22:40:47 -0500

Should we load/upgrade to Exchange SP1 for our Domain Controller running
only ESM, not Exchange?

More Details:
We have our Exchange server and our Domain Controllers separate. We have
recently applied SP1 on our Exchange 2003 with Windows 2003 Server. All
seems fine so far in our small environment. During the install we
noticed the 'upgrade' portion for ESM.

We had previously loaded the Exchange System Manager (ESM) on our 2003
Domain Controller (Native Mode) so we could get the extra Exchange Tabs
and Tasks. (There should be a way to manage Exchange tasks through
Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) without having to load IIS
on your Domain Controllers, keep things cleaner/safer. If there is
please let me know.) And I don't just mean the 'View:Advanced Features'
to show the one Exchange tab.

 I don't like loading things unnecessarily on the Domain Controllers,
so, is it safe (best practice) to apply Exchange 2003 SP1 to a Domain
Controller to update the ESM? Or is it not necessary?