RE: Exchange services shutting down intermittently

  • From: "Clarke, Scott" <Scott.Clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:59:07 -0330

I am running the same OS and Exchange Versions as you and had experienced the
same problem a few weeks ago.  My problem appeared to be the amount of NDR
messages in the queues caused by SPAM trying to do Directory Harvesting.  I
believe our server was trying to send NDR to non-existent recipients thus
causing the services issue.  I restarted our Exchange server and the services
stayed running for awhile but outbound email from internal clients took quite
long to get out.  I deleted all the postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx messages (without
NDR) and configured our GFI MailEssentials anti-spam software to delete any
messages that are trying to do Directory harvesting.

Since doing this our server has been running smoothly.

Hope this helps.

PS - You should configure Symantec to Exclude all Exchange directories (exclude
the edb and stm files as well)  I have seen databased get corrupt because of
the anti-virus scanning.