Exchange resends old email on reboot

  • From: "Noach Sumner" <noach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:00:12 +0200

I have a major problem with my exchange server. Any time the exchange
services are restarted (generally meaning the machine is rebooted) some
old e-mails get resent. The same e-mails are "always" resent so people
will get the same e-mail many times.

The emails that are resent are invariable when somebody sent out a
"large (say anything over 250k) to a LARGE number of people (say 250 or
more). Invariably when they send it our line gets flooded (only 160k
uplink) and they get lots of status delay notifications etc. Fine, that
is to be expected but that it is re-sending this stuff is a much larger

What can I do to stop this? It is not following standards to keep
retrying as I have it set to only try for 3 days and it will keep going
on a restart with 3 month old e-mail!!!

As well I have now set up to use a smart host to send all our e-mail.
Does Exchange do this the smart way and therefore only send the message
once to the smart host with the entire to list? IE therefore I am not
flooding my line?

Noach Sumner