[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange offline defrag timeframe

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:21:35 -0500

Thanks for the info, Larry, in light of Michael's email, I am considering alternatives.

On 11/15/07, Larry Fry <larry.fry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Offline defragmentation creates a new database by copying all records and tables from the old database into the new database . Because this is a copy, defragmentation requires free disk space equal to the size of the database (actually, you'll need 110% of free space).

Microsoft recommends a conservative 5 - 7 GB per hour for a defrag operation, which means that your server will be offline for as long as it takes, assuming no hardware failures will occur.

Larry Fry

Sr. Systems Administrator, MarkMonitor

391 N. Ancestor Pl. Suite 100

Boise, ID  83704