[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange offline defrag timeframe

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:20:28 -0500

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Good question - I am considering a defrag because users mailboxes grew dramatically and now they are deleting unnecessary items and relocating attachments to the file server. A dozen GB's or more will be removed.

If we do move to a different storage group, will any user mailbox settings or delegate permissions be lost?

...D

On 11/15/07, Michael B. Smith <swngdnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The first question I would ask is: why do you want to do a defragment?

Will you recover more than 30% of storage space? Have you been advised to by PSS?

If not, then I wouldn't bother. Taking Exchange offline to do a defrag, without a good reason, is just a waste of time and processor cycles.

Besides which, given sufficient disk space, doing a move-mailbox to a new storage group is MUCH less intrusive.