Re: Exchange configuration question (re-read and corrected)

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:28:20 -0500

LOL John,

I think you need to take a break from what you are doing and go out side
for some fresh air to clear your mind. That way it might dawn on you
that everyone in this world doesn't know as much as you when it comes to
Exchange, so show them a little respect!

Pretty much all the small businesses I have had to setup Windows Servers
for all have wanted everything on one machine. It's only been this
company who has any kind of the proper resources to do it the Microsoft
way. :)

Andrew said:
>>> Yes Steve I have a firewall in at the office were I am working.
However
>>> I as doing the OWA part from the local LAN.
Then Steve responded:
>> They are going to use OWA from the LAN??
Then Andrew responded to Steve:
> No No No Steve, the plan is to setup RPC over HTTPS. They are going to

> use the Exchange way over the LAN with Outlook and RpC over HTTPS the
> internet way.

John said:
HUH? What does OWA have to do with RPC over HTTPS? RPC over HTTPS has to
do with being able to connect Outlook to Exchange over the Internet
without a VPN. OWA is a web interface for Exchange.

You know that you can test OWA from your local LAN if you have your DNS
setup correctly right? I don't see why I need to explain myself you a
GURU like you?

Andrew said:
>  This network is setup with 1 EX 2003 box, the client doesn't make
billions to afford
>  both a front-end and back-end server.

John said:
1. FE-BE configurations does not take Billions of dollars.
2. FE-BE configurations are by far not needed in all/most
configurations.
3. I know of lots of installations with just one Exchange server working
fine, because that is what their configuration uses.

Actually, it takes about $400~$500 per box plus my time to build to
configure it. (A P3-1Ghz, 1GB RAM, 30GB HD, CD, NIC) Most small
businesses who aren't organized with their finances generally can't
spend the extra $$ to have both a FE-BE Exchange box.

Andrew said:
> Btw. I deal mostly with small companies who can't afford to setup
their
> servers the MS way, so in most cases everything ends up being
installed
> on one box which I know is not very good.

John said:
1. There are different solutions for different circumstances.
2. Microsoft recommendations and Best Practices are the result of
existing installations and configurations.
3. If a client can not afford to have Exchange installed properly, they
should not be using Exchange.
4. You should not be changing the recommended configuration for Exchange
for the sake of convenience or necessity of an application on the same
server.
Exchange must be configured correctly as recommended. The other
application MUST work around it.
5. I adamantly dislike ANY security product (such as AV software) that
must be configured and administered through a website with a known URL
or partial URL.

Such is life John. Getting a company who can't afford it through the
first stages only makes them realize that they need to spend a little
more on their IT budget in the next year and get things running
properly. If Microsoft really wanted companies to run it 100% correctly
they honestly would develop the software to work many different ways,
thus forcing it to work only one way, they have resources to do this.
Just look at what Bill did to DOS 3.0, he made it so that Lotus's
software wouldn't work on it, which gave him time to release Word and
Excel for DOS. :)

Andrew
Brain Child/Consultant/Owner
Smooth Runnings

1. Have you bothered to do any reading about Exchange before you started
working on it?
2. Have you bothered to do any research on Exchange?
3. Did you even bother to read the recommended installation steps for
Exchange?

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You