Exchange banners

  • From: "Fedor Mamonov" <mamonov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:05:26 +0300

In the Marc Grote article "How to change the POP3 / IMAP4 and SMTP
banner in Exchange 2003"
nge-2003.html) there are few recommendations for securing mail services,
but I find these recommendations incomplete:
In SMTP service when I try to change FQDN of my server in delivery
options -> Advanced delivery to some text (i.e. TOPSecret domain ltd.')
Exchange naturally couldn't resolve this text in DNS
Changing greeting in POP3 service still don't change last server message
(when connection is closed), so that change is useless
The thing that would be really useful is to hear guru's opinion on how
to hide network topology and names from displaying in message header,
for example when I receive message from Exchange servers in FE-BE
topology I can see both server names and IPs.
Thank you.
Fedor Mamonov