RE: Exchange as a 2ndary backup mail server

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:14:37 -0500

That's an interesting way to get things done. FINGER?  Really?
Have you considered just having a second host accept mail at your site?
That would result in three MX records for you?
Nothing elaborate: a Windows 2000 or 2003 server could do it for you.

The only benefit you would be without is any problem with the network
connection to your ISP could result in delayed email.  That's because SMTP
will queue mail when it cannot contact your mail server if there is no other
mail exchanger.  The retry period varies from next to nothing to 72 hours or
more in some cases.  You would essentially tell remote hosts to queue the
mail and retry at their leisure which results in the mail never leaving the
originator's systems.  Somewhat efficient compared to letting your ISP queue
it for you.

Your friend could queue it for you although I wouldn't advise it.  Have him
set up acceptance of the messages for your doamin with a route for delivery
to your systems.  He needs to be sure that he is not authoratative for that
domain.  He's likely going to have some issues implementing this, so testing
is really a good idea.  He needs to hard code the route and needs to be very
aware of the retry interval that he uses.