[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange and virtualization

  • From: "Kamuni, Prabhakar" <Prabhakar.Kamuni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:22:30 -0000

Microsoft support policy has always favored there own virtualization product
(Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Virtual PC, and Microsoft Virtual Server). They
will make a reasonable effort to resolve problems in a Vmware environment and
may request you duplicate the problem in a physical environment if needed.

Microsoft is trying to restrict customers' flexibility and freedom to choose
virtualization software by limiting who can run their software and how they can
run it. Microsoft is leveraging its ownership of the market leading operating
system and numerous applications that are market leaders in their respective
categories (Exchange, SQL Server, and Active Directory) to drive customers to
use Microsoft virtualization products. Their tactics are focused on software
licensing and distribution terms (for SQL Server, Exchange, Windows Server, and
Vista) and through the APIs and formats for virtualized Windows.

In particular, Microsoft does not have key virtual infrastructure capabilities
(like VMotion), and they are making those either illegal or expensive for
customers; Microsoft doesn't have virtual desktop offerings, so they are
denying it to customers; and Microsoft is moving to control this new layer that
sits on the hardware by forcing their specifications and APIs on the industry.
Included below in this document are explanations with supporting details of
some of these specific areas.

Virtualization opens up new enabling models for IT customers and technology
vendors. To fully achieve this vision, the industry must ensure fundamental
market choice and ecosystem interoperability. Microsoft operating systems and
applications are both market dominant and they deliver value to customers.
However, customers and vendors require freedom of choice to implement and
deliver applications and operating systems from any vendor with any chosen
virtual hardware platform. Microsoft is not acting in customers' best interests
when they attempt to force an integrated virtual hardware/operating
system/application stack for their operating system and applications. Customers
require an "any to any" interoperability model where Microsoft application
stacks can run freely with licensing, open APIs, and support equivalence on
non-Microsoft virtual hardware to Microsoft's own virtualization technologies.

Vmware Says peace of mind you can host Exchange on ESX-Vmware

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware
virtualization software

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615

Vmware Says peace of mind you can host Exchange on ESX-Vmware

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/exchange/

Vmware says you can run SQL

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/sql/

http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/svvp.html

Please check the below for Microsoft Virtualization Licensing and Distribution
Terms

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_licensing_wp.html

  Thanks and Regards

PRABHAKAR KAMUNI |  ECG- De Beers Project | Tech Lead

Unisys Global Services India  |  135/1 Residency Road  |  Bangalore |  Business
Phone +91 4159 4828|Net 759 4828

Mobile: 0091-9945333367

attachments from all computers.