RE: Exchange and duplicating Sendmail Virtual user table.

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:15:56 -0500

Address rewrite is intended for outbound rewrite to help facilitate
acquisitions of companies while maintaining the same domain name without
having to change the primary addresses (why exactly you wouldn't do this is
beyond me, but they wrote the tool anyway and that's it).

Address rewrite is not intended for what you're after which is inbound.
That's usually done with an event sink to rewrite based on some sort of
custom logic that's important to your implementation.

I know I've seen this before but can't recall where exactly.  I'll have to
take a closer look at some of the older docs.  Essentially, it's an event
sink that needs to be written and you can find docs about it at

It's more trouble than it should be FWIW.