[ExchangeList] Exchange Transaction Logs

  • From: "Ben Zaki" <abenzaki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:02:16 -0500

Hi,

I would like to know what you would recommend as the best way to manage the
exchange transaction logs. How are you managing your transaction log files?

We are a small organization with one exchange server but the amount of logs it
generates is overwhelming. This is due to the numerous system and network email
alerts that are generated and sent to the network and production support group.
The server has two partitions (C and D drives) and exchange is on C. Currently,
what I do on a weekly basis is simply copy the old logs (any logs older than
two weeks ) to the D drive, zip the logs and then go back and delete the copied
logs from the C drive. I then keep the zipped logs on the D drive for 1 month
before deleting them. This way I have a backup if I need them. This is now
getting to be old and tiresome and I'm looking for a better way to manage these
logs.

I have considered circular logging but since this is not recommended in a
production environment I don't know if that's the way to go. Any help would be
appreciated.

Ben