RE: Exchange Size or Outlook Size Problem?

  • From: "Andrea Coppini" <andreacoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:00:11 +0100

Strange, practically all of our mailboxes are over 250mb in size.  We
have one specific user who has a 4.3gb mailbox... No problems (as long
as he doesn't try to make it all available offline, that is! :-D)

We have around 40 mailboxes used concurrently out of about 70 in total.
Our Exch spec is similar to yours (1.2Gb RAM, 700mhz Xeon, 6x 10k RPM
36gb HDs in 2 RAID5 sets, Member Server).  No problems at all.

Check disk activity on your Exchange server.  Try to keep your
transaction log files separate (in terms of physical disk location) from
your information store files, as this adversely affects performance for
everyone when a single user does a full-text search throughout his
mailbox.

I have heard of GoldMine, I've also heard of ACT (which we bought but
never put in production), but unless it has certain features which can't
be implemented through Outlook/Exchange, avoid it.  We have public
folders with 8,000+ contacts and exchange skims through them like a
skier on steroids.