Re: Exchange Server upgrade

  • From: <Paul_Lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Conley P. Shairrick" <cshairrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:16:08 -0000

Hi Conley

I see no other way around this problem as renaming a machine hosting Exchange
will break Exchange totally. The services simply won't start. The only way to
then resolve that issue is to completely uninstall Exchange and reinstall thus
losing all your users and their data. You could then theoretically having
backed up all the mailboxes from the original Exchange installation to PST
files using EXMERGE.EXE restore them on the new machine but there is an issue
with that. Namely the amount of space needed to hold the users mailbox data
will increase very significantly as single instance storage will be lost.

Hope that helps? Please don't hesitate to get back to me if I can help you
further.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.