Exchange Server and POP/SMTP server coexistance for same domain

  • From: "Byron ......." <snail945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:08:25 -0700

I am curious on best practice and approach for the following:

i need to coexist 1 Exchange server and 1 third party POP/SMTP Server for 1
domain ("").  Currently all email from internet destined for is routed into the pop server (via public DNS/MX) and email for the
exchange users is then forwarded on in to exchange via smtp( from pop server).
 Legacy accounts remain on pop server and email is picked up via a variety of
POP sessions.

I'm interested in ideas on how i can easily send email from Outlook (for the
exchange users - MAPI session) to these pop accounts on the pop server for the
same domain.    Exchange server currently sends all outbound directly for its
users via DNS.

Appreciate any feedback.