RE: Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: "Zoran Marjanovic" <zmarjanovic@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:13:04 +0100

Hi Al,

The procedure is: after you finish the first (or existing) exchange, rename it
and change its IP address, and restart it (you get different computer and
exchange server names, so the exchange services will not start). You prepare
one computer (install windows server, SP, fixes, patches, AV client, Admin
tools, zip-software...., all you have on the first one), then run restore of
the first exchange system state backup, join it to the domain, install exchange
server and its SP in recovery mode, and install AV filter. The next step in CA
documentation says: test the secondary exchange, be sure it is fully
operational as it has to start without any problems in case of a failure on the
first one. In order to start and test it, I had to restore IS from the backup,
mount the stores and connect to it over outlook and OWA from a client machine.
Also, I had to correct its record in DNS.

This time I will try without restoring IS data, but if there is problem with
mounting stores after restoration from a backup (I have never mounted stores
without running recover/repair and isinteg), then I wouldn't expect the stores
will mount after being replicated from another server.

I found the patches ( and, but not for my
problem. Anyway I will install all of them and try again (all I did was during
last several weekends; right now I don't have time to dedicate to it). Scripts
for pre and post failover are assigned by default (for Exchange 2000), and I
didn't check the rest of them, maybe I could find something interesting. I
think the setup was OK, as the second one pinged the pinging device to check if
there was a net failure, started the services and spoofed the name and IP

I am really interested if you tried to fail over (not manually) with exchange
2k, what happened with it? Did you try to reinstate the first one, was any
problems with that? If this fails I will call CA and try to find out what was
the problem, as this looks like nice solution for me.