RE: Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: "Jason Merrique" <j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:29:01 -0000

Hi Chaps,

This is certainly a very interesting discussion.

I've managed to convince management that Guaranteed 100% uptime really
isn't a possibility, and I've explained that the considerable costs
associated with any clustering/cloning solution would make the marginal
increase in reliability not worth the investment. I am instead going to
ensure that spare hardware is on-site in case of an incident such as
last week's. So they're happy, for the moment anyway....

But the discussion has piqued my interest. Regarding the duplication
software: The marketing blurb sounds very impressive, but I would like
to hear if anyone that has actually used any of these on a system that
did actually fail. How did it perform compared to a similar scenario
involving a cluster? Personally, if I was to implement anything like
this in the future, I would prefer to use a native MS (clustering) -
rather than third party solution (duplication). It would be interesting
to hear first hand accounts.

Cheers,

Jason