Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: "Jason Merrique" <j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:14:44 -0000

Hi All,

One of our exchange servers experienced a hardware failure this morning
(excellent start to the week!), and as it was the main mailbox store, it
caused a few hours of downtime for most of our users. To prevent this
from happening again, I'd like to have a certain amount of redundancy. I
understand that in a cluster of exchange servers this is possible as
they effectively act as one logical exchange server.

Is it possible to achieve the same level of redundancy without setting
up a cluster, by synchronising the mailboxes between the two servers?
Would a cluster be overkill for our two servers and 30 odd users?
As part of an exchange cluster - would it be possible for the server to
take on other tasks as an individual?

If you could offer personal advice, or a recommendation of literature,
that would be excellent.

Cheers,

Jason