RE: Exchange Server Hardware Upgrade

  • From: "Justin Culbreath" <justinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:30:41 -0600

One of the best tools I found that has helped me with performance based
decisions is a program called "Spotlight on Exchange".  They just
released the exchange 2000 version and it gives you a plethora of info.
You can track CPU usage, E2K CPU usage, System memory usage, disk usage,
and all sorts of other stuff.  You can track bottlenecks and find what's
causing them.  If it's hardware, it gives you generic suggestions, but
at least you can find out if your server has the power you need.  Best
of all, you can get this in a full functioning demo.
We are running 1800 users on a Dell Cluster. Each node is a Dual PIII
933mhz, 3gb ram. Each server connected to two external scsi 12 disk
storage arrays.
The only performance issue we had was resolved when we upgraded the ram
from 1gb to 3.
Justin Culbreath
Systems Engineer
Weld County School District Six