RE: Exchange Server Database Move and Backup

  • From: "Joe DeRuvo" <joed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:27:07 -0700

Danny:

Thanks for getting back to me.  Here is some more info:

I sent an email to John.

I started with this company about 3 weeks ago with this situation - the D drive
on the mail server is at its capacity (950 MB of free space left) with file
corruption.  There is about 30 GB of free space on the C: drive.  I want to
move the database over to C: on a temporary basis and run utilities to repair
the database.  The company has purchased a new server and is looking into
either Exchange 2003 Standard or Enterprise Edition (I am hoping they lean
toward Enterprise).  The next step would be to install Exchange 2003 on the new
server and move the mailboxes over from the Exchange 2000 Standard Server.
Current OS on the old server is Windows 2000 Server Standard.  Regarding your
questions:

Disaster Recovery Plan: We have a service that does on offline backup.  We
would also would backup to tape prior to the move.

How Much is Email Worth? Priceless - very important to the company.

How long Can they go without Email? - we are targeting a weekend.

Temporary Server Solution - The company has purchased a newer server.  The
current one is just too old.

Any other comments you have Danny are greatly appreciated - especially with the
upgrade to 2003 on a new server.  My direct work # is 415-493-3246.

Thanks,

Joe